Campus Resources

Office of the University Registrar

This is the first stop for students to make changes on campus.

Best contact: Christy Samford, Deputy Registrar

Students who wish to change the name or gender designation in their official academic record must provide to the Office of the Registrar a state or federal identification (e.g., driver's license, passport, birth certificate) reflecting the name and gender marker to which they want their record changed. For situations where an application for a passport or other approved identification with the new information has been made submitted but is not yet complete, please contact the LGBTQ Center.


Changing Legal Name in Campus Record

A name change form is available online and documentation information.

Option 1: Go in person to the registrar’s office on the 3rd floor of SASB North.

Documentation Needed:

  • Court Order of name change
  • New NC driver’s license
  • Note: if you have been an employee of UNC in the previous year, they will need an updated social security card

Option 2: Email: and provide the following information

  • Name currently on file
  • PID
  • Date of Birth
  • Name to which you are changing the records
  • Gender to which you are changing the records


Changing Preferred Name in Campus Record

Students have the option to set a preferred name in Connect Carolina self-service.

Preferred names are used across campus in conjunction with the primary name.  For example, in Sakai and on class rosters.  Setting this ahead of graduation will aid in the process of getting a diploma printed with a preferred name.


Changing Name to be Printed on Diploma

Best contact: Christy Samford, Deputy Registrar

Contact either Christy Samford or the LGBTQ Center, whichever feels most comfortable, to begin this process.


Changing Legal Gender in Campus Record

Students with legal (government issued) documentation showing a change in gender can contact the Office of the University Registrar ( to update their legal gender in the student information system.  Legal gender is not widely used across campus, but is required for some services and reported externally.  Students in transition without legal documentation can work with the LGBTQ Center to make accommodations where needed.


Carolina (Campus) Housing

Best contact: Steven Wiley, Assistant Director of Assignments

Carolina Housing supports all students regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.

All bedrooms in hall style, suites, and apartments will be assigned to students of the same sex.  For the purpose of room assignment, sex refers to an individual’s sex (male or female) as indicated on the official student record maintained by the Registrar’s Office. 

Except for areas specifically designated as single sex, suite and apartment buildings will offer male only and female only rooms on all floors because there are private bathrooms with showers in each suite and apartment.

Hall style buildings will offer male and female rooms on all floors unless the floor has shared community bathrooms/showering areas which are intended for residents of the same sex or it is a floor/building specifically designated as single sex.  Carolina Housing is in the process of converting the community bathroom/shower areas in hall style buildings to private bathroom pods as it allows for additional flexibility with room assignments. 


Pride Place

Pride Place is a residential community committed to the personal wellness and academic success of students of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions. One goal of the program is the creation of a residential community in which every student feels safe, included, and empowered. As residents, students will learn about the LGBTQ+ community at Carolina and its many intersections, build relationships, and actively engage in the community.


Break housing

To learn more about break housing visit:


Summer Housing

To learn more about summer housing visit:


Campus Health

Campus Health downloads information from the registrar’s office so once that record is changed the name should automatically update in their records.


Hormone Therapy at Campus Health

Best Contact: Campus Health appointment line

  • 919-966-2281
  • Ask for an appointment specifically for transition related hormone therapy or transgender care.

Available providers:

  • Dr. Stephens,
  • Dr. Vimmerstedt,
  • Dr. Chai, and
  • Margaux Simon, NP


Hormone therapy is available through Campus Health. Dr. Anne Stephens coordinates this service  using an informed consent protocol. This means there is no requirement for students to present a letter from a mental health professional in order to begin hormone therapy. The provider seen would perform an initial assessment, coordinate care, and provide secondary consultation if necessary.

There are several providers available to provide hormone therapy.

Avery Cook from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available to meet with anyone who wants to speak with a counselor about transition related hormone therapy but there is no requirement that you do so to pursue treatment. Email Avery at and ask to schedule an appointment for transition related matters.


UNC Transgender Health Program

Best contact: or 1-833-UNC-TRNS

The UNC Transgender Health Program was established this year with the primary purpose of assisting patients who need gender-affirming care navigate a complex healthcare system and connect to the services they need. The Transgender Health Program acts as a primary point of contact for trans patients and can provide referrals for medical, surgical, and mental health services with vetted, gender-affirming providers. This program is separate from campus health but is available to students.


Campus Recreation

All eligible Intramural Sports participants may participate in accordance with their personal gender identity. For more information see:


General Alumni Association (DAVIE Records)

Best contact: Rachel Orr, Assistant Director of Alumni Records

Documentation Needed: None