Regular Safe Zone
Safe Zone is a program designed to create a network of visible allies to people who identify as part of the diverse LGBTIQA+ community. The four hour educational session provides information and resources related to sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. The regular sessions are for those individuals who have never completed Safe Zone training. This training is a prerequisite to Safe Zone Gender/ Identity Expression.
Regular Safe Zone trainings are four-hour long sessions with a short intermission about half way through.
Safe Zone trainees develop:
- A deeper awareness of personal ideas, stereotypes, and assumptions related to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer and asexual (LGBTIQA) individuals
- An increased comfort level in addressing concepts and language regarding LGBTIQA communities with the university community and with individuals
- An increased awareness of services on campus that support LGBTIQ and allied individuals
- A network of community and campus staff, faculty, and students to support people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions on campus
Register for Regular Safe Zone
- Friday June 14, 2019 from 10am-2pm
- Tuesday July 23, 2019 from 1-5pm
- Friday, August 16, 2019 from 10a-2pm
- Thursday, August 29, 2019 from 10a-2pm
- Thursday, September 12, 2019 from 5p-9pm
- Friday, September 27, 2019 from 10a-2pm
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 from 12p-4pm
- Monday, November 4, 2019 from 12p-4pm
Safe Zone Gender Identity & Gender Expression
The purpose of Safe Zone Gender Identity & Gender Expression is to make the University community a safer and more supportive place for all UNC-CH students, faculty, and staff members by creating a network of allies who have basic knowledge about transgender and intersex communities. Regular Safe Zone training is a prerequisite for this training.
Register for Safe Zone Gender Identity & Gender Expression
Safe Zone Facilitator Training
Interested in learning to facilitate Safe Zone Trainings? Our Safe Zone program would not be possible without volunteers. The demand for Safe Zone keeps increasing and we need more facilitators to keep the program growing. If you have already been Safe Zone and Safe Zone GI/GE trained, and you would like to be part of creating a more welcoming, inclusive campus climate, becoming a Safe Zone Facilitator is the next step!
Regular Safe Zone training is a prerequisite for this training.
- Safe Zone Gender Identity/Gender Expression training is a prerequisite for this training.
Requesting Safe Zone Trainings
On-Campus or Carolina-Affiliated
If you are interested in having a Safe Zone training for your department, organization or group please contact us at least two months in advance to request a training. We ask that hosting departments and groups commit to the following:
Guarantee at least 25 participants. (People usually invite nearby offices or groups with similar purposes, if necessary.)
- Handle publicity, registration, and participant reminders.
- Attend a planning meeting with LGBTQ Center staff before scheduling the training. Meeting should run no longer than 30 minutes and can be in-person or via phone.
- Reserve space and notify Center staff of the location and room amenities, such as computer, projector, speakers, etc as early as possible.
Contact April Callis, Ph.D. learn more, or to schedule a Safe Zone training.
We offer trainings to non UNC affiliated organizations. There is a fee of $1000 for organizations not affiliated with UNC, plus travel expenses for locations over 30 miles from UNC-CH.